[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Concrete proposal to split classic

Timothy Arceri tarceri at itsqueeze.com
Tue Mar 23 13:44:07 UTC 2021

On 3/23/21 7:26 PM, Ian Romanick wrote:

> I would like to wait a couple more releases to do this.  I have a couple
> things that I've been gradually working on for some of the non-i965
> classic drivers that I'd like to land before they're put out to pasture.
>   I talked to ajax about this a few weeks ago, and he was amenable at the
> time.

Is there any reason these could not just land in the forked classic
branch? The consensus seems to be we would still be making the odd
release of these forked drivers, unlike how the DRI1 drivers were put
out to pasture. Ken already outlined a desire to still be able to add
occasional features to i965.

There is real momentum around cleaning up and optimising core Mesa at
the moment, I'd really hate to see that slow down just because of a self
imposed rule on what changes can land in a forked classic branch. I
can't see there being to many MRs and releases required whether we
applied a strict "build and critical bug fixes only" policy or just let
any reasonable MR be accepted. I mean its not like there are MR flowing
in for classic drivers now.

Just to be clear I'm +1 for forking 21.1.