[Mesa-dev] Workflow Proposal

Mike Blumenkrantz michael.blumenkrantz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 16:19:54 UTC 2021

Hi,

It's recently come to my attention that gitlab has Approvals. Was anyone
else aware of this feature? You can just click a button and have your name
recorded in the system as having signed off on landing a patch? Blew my
mind.

So with that being said, we also have this thing in the Mesa repo where
everyone* has to constantly be adding these esoteric tags like Reviewed-by
(I reviewed it), and Acked-by (I rubber stamped it), or Tested-by (I
compiled it and maybe ran glxgears), and so forth.

* Except some incredibly smart people already know where I'm going with this

Instead of continuing to have to manually update each patch with the
appropriate and definitely-unforgeable tags, what if we just used Approvals
in the UI instead? We could then have marge-bot require approvals as needed
in components and bring reviewing into the current year. Just think: no
more rewriting all the commit logs and force-pushing the branch again
before you merge!

Anyway, I thought maybe this would be a nice idea to improve everyone's
workflows. What do other people think?

Mike