[Mesa-dev] Workflow Proposal

Mike Blumenkrantz michael.blumenkrantz at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 17:37:08 UTC 2021

On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 1:27 PM Bas Nieuwenhuizen <bas at basnieuwenhuizen.nl>
wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 7:07 PM Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 6, 2021 at 11:24 AM Emma Anholt <emma at anholt.net> wrote:

> anyone else aware of this feature? You can just click a button and have
> your name recorded in the system as having signed off on landing a patch?
> Blew my mind.

> where everyone* has to constantly be adding these esoteric tags like
> Reviewed-by (I reviewed it), and Acked-by (I rubber stamped it), or
> Tested-by (I compiled it and maybe ran glxgears), and so forth.

> with this

> appropriate and definitely-unforgeable tags, what if we just used Approvals
> in the UI instead? We could then have marge-bot require approvals as needed
> in components and bring reviewing into the current year. Just think: no
> more rewriting all the commit logs and force-pushing the branch again
> before you merge!

> everyone's workflows. What do other people think?
> >
> > My primary grip with approvals or the 👍 button is that it's the wrong
> > granularity.  It's per-MR instead of per-patch.  When people are
> > regularly posting MRs that touch a bunch of different stuff, per-patch
> > review is pretty common.  I'm not sure I want to lose that.  :-/
>
> Would it be an option to get Marge to not remove existing Rb tags, so
> we could get the streamlined process where possible and fall back if
> the MRs turn more complicated?

If people really, truly care about per-patch Approval, couldn't they just
split out patches from bigger MRs and get Approvals there? Otherwise it
should be trivial enough to check the gitlab MR and see who reviewed which
patch if it becomes an issue at a later date. Odds are at that point you're
already going to the MR to see wtf someone was thinking...