[Mesa-dev] Workflow Proposal

Eero Tamminen eero.t.tamminen at intel.com
Mon Oct 11 08:21:36 UTC 2021

Hi,

On 7.10.2021 16.00, Alyssa Rosenzweig wrote:
>> I would love to see this be the process across Mesa.  We already don't
>> rewrite commit messages for freedreno and i915g, and I only have to do
>> the rebase (busy-)work for my projects in other areas of the tree.
>
> Likewise for Panfrost. At least, I don't do the rewriting. Some Panfrost
> devs do, which I'm fine with. But it's not a requirement to merging.
>
> The arguments about "who can help support this years from now?" are moot
> at our scale... the team is small enough that the name on the reviewer
> is likely the code owner / maintainer, and patches regularly go in
> unreviewed for lack of review bandwidth.

I was thinking more of outsiders trying to track down issues (who may be
using older Mesa versions, and wanting both to ask about bisected
commit, and find out whether there's a fix for given issue in upstream).

Longer list of people is useful in case Mesa driver team has been
changing in intervening years.

But this is very much a corner-case concern.

> I think it's reasonable that small driver teams and large common
> components have different review needs, and it's ok for the process to
> reflect that.

+1

	- Eero