NIR: is_used_once breaks multi-pass rendering

Connor Abbott cwabbott0 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 09:39:33 UTC 2022

There are precise rules for when calculations in GL must return the
same result, which are laid out in Appendix A ("Invariance"). The
relevant rule here:

"Rule 4 The same vertex or fragment shader will produce the same result when
run multiple times with the same input. The wording ‘the same shader’ means a
program object that is populated with the same source strings, which
are compiled
and then linked, possibly multiple times, and which program object is
then executed
using the same GL state vector. Invariance is relaxed for shaders with
side effects,
such as accessing atomic counters (see section A.5)"

The key part is "using the same GL state vector." In particular that
includes which buffers are attached - and the entire program has to be
the same, which allows varying linking optimizations. The intent of
this was probably exactly to enable these sorts of optimizations based
on what's using a value while allowing aggressive cross-stage
optimizations. This means that in your example, the app is broken and
it should be using "invariant gl_Position;" (i.e. what the app
workaround does).

There's a question of whether apps are broken often enough that we
ought to enable vs_position_always_invariant by default. That will
obviously come with some performance cost, although maybe it's
acceptable enough in practice.

Connor