Replacing NIR with SPIR-V?

Abel Bernabeu abel.bernabeu at esperantotech.com
Thu Jan 20 23:48:48 UTC 2022

In principle, all the properties you highlight in your blog
<https://www.jlekstrand.net/jason/projects/mesa/nir-notes/> as key points
of NIR also apply to SPIR-V. I was curious to know where in the details
that I miss, NIR starts shining as a more suitable IR than SPIR-V for the
task of communicating front-end and back-end. By the way, thanks for
putting together that blog post.

As it seems clear that the NIR question is well settled within the mesa
community and I really see value in having mesa drivers, I promise to pay
as much attention to the NIR use cases as I did with SPIR-V :-)

By the way, we are not planning on supporting with specific RISC-V
instructions everything that has an instruction on SPIR-V. Regarding the
two areas you mention:

- Arrays and structs: SPIR-V's OpAccessChain would need to be processed by
a backend and translated to pointer arithmetic plus dereferencing (kind of
the same thing as having to process a nir_deref). This translation can be
done in RISC-V with no issue, whether it is OpAccessChain or nir_deref.

- Trigonometric operations: personally I consider that only "sin" and "cos"
are needed additions for RISC-V. Unclear what precision yet, likely 8 bits,
for serving as initial value for a Newton-Rapson style computation.

Regards.