Re: Moving amber into separate repo?

Filip Gawin filip at gawin.net
Sun Sep 25 10:08:22 UTC 2022

W dniu: Niedziela, Wrzesień 25, 2022 08:16 CEST, "Eric Engestrom" <eric at engestrom.ch> napisał(a):
 Hi Filip!

Others have what explained why copying the repo (and everything around it) is not a good idea, so I'll only reply to the other points.

On 2022-09-22 at 22:37 UTC+02:00, Filip Gawin <filip at gawin.net> wrote:
> Hi, recently I've seen case of user been using Amber when hardware was
> supported by mainline mesa. This gave me a couple of thoughts.
>
> 1) Users don't correlate "Amber" with "Legacy" and probably it's gonna
> be best to always also print "Legacy" together with "Mesa".

Could you explain *where* you would like to do this? I don't see what *users* would see where this would help.

> 2) Not sure if problem of choosing best driver is on mesa's or distro
> maintainer's side, but it became more complicated for maintainers.

I think we should probably add a couple of lines in the meson.build on the amber branch, like this:

if gallium_drivers.count() != 0 or vulkan_drivers.count() != 0
error("You shouldn't package Gallium or Vulkan drivers from the amber branch; please only enable these in the standard Mesa package build.")
endif

Do you think that would be enough to resolve the distro packages maintainers' confusion?

Hi, I think the problem with Amber is that the situation isn't clear. Branch appeared from nowhere and without clear goal. (Some commits for new drivers landed on it. So it may be giving wrong idea about LTS.) Moving into separate repo was my first idea to address this problem, but I agree it may not be best solution.

Overall I think we have problems:
- branch is difficult to find (adding link in readme of main branch and renaming branch?)
- sometimes commits for drivers still supported by main branch are modifying gallium, so there's chance of regression (or accidental use). (we can disable them, but probably removing is better?)
- people don't correlate amber and legacy. Here's video with with chipset 945g (915g) and lubuntu. https://youtu.be/nCjantxylV4?t=1160 (btw there's another problem why 945g only advertise gl 1.4) So adding "Legacy" or "Legacy driver" after word Mesa my be a good idea.