state of EGL support on MacOS?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 18:36:47 UTC 2022

Reading through the mesa source, it seems that GLX uses hardware OpenGL support on Darwin that was supplied by Apple initially in 2010, and updated since (apple subdir in glx).

But if I am reading it correctly (and I easily might not be), the EGL implementation on mesa does not use Apple hardware support, but instead software rendering.

So — even though mesa with EGL will build on Darwin, performance would be very much below GLX, so best avoided.

I have patched the gtk4 source to avoid requiring EGL for now, and forced GLX to be used always.

If I’m way off here, appreciate anyone putting me on the right path.

Best,

Ken