Porting / AMIGA / PiStorm32 / developer needed - Back to the roots

Ignacio Soriano Hernandez bond6872 at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 12 08:30:49 UTC 2023

Dear Mesa dev community,

Please let me apologize if you consider this off topic but I think that this is probably the audience that could help in reviving and getting back to the roots where Mesa3D originated from.

To use Brian Paul’s words:

The core library was originally (started in 1993) written on an Amiga using the DCC compiler. Later, development was moved to an SGI workstation.  Current development is done on PC/Linux systems.

So thirty years later the AMIGA community is still huge, growing and the development on hardware and software accelerators is giving us new capabilities. One of the most interesting projects has been the PiStorm32 and Emu68 which enable the AMIGA to use a Pi as CPU accelerator with a baremetal ARM <-> 68k CPU emulator. Incredible CPU power but no access to the GPU and acceleration that could also boost graphics capabilities and applications via an RTG (Retargetable Graphics) access. The AMIGA OS is actively being developed (yes, still 40 years later) and AMIGA cross-compiler toolchains do exist for all kind of nowadays operating systems.

So what are we looking for? An experienced Mesa3D developer with and affinity/background for/on AMIGA that would be interested in porting an actual Mesa3D build to the PiStorm32/Emu68/AMIGA OS combo. Yes, 30 years later where it originated from. We have been collecting some funds as we know that this is not a weekend job but maybe someone is looking to for a challenge where „this is impossible“ gains your interest.

Thank you

Iggi