Advice on modifying Lavapipe to isolate JIT compilation in separate process

Josh Gargus jjosh at google.com
Thu Apr 27 05:18:28 UTC 2023

Thanks for your advice!  I hadn't looked at Venus, but that seems like a
very promising place to start.

The other approach feels more approachable now too; it feels like there are
less "unknown unknowns", although there are plenty of known unknowns to
investigate (address independence was one that was already bugging be
before I wrote to this list).

It seems like Venus is the more straightforward approach, so I'm inclined
to just go with it.  However, it seems like there would be a performance
hit compared to only doing JIT compilation in a separate process.  Do you
have a rough sense of the performance hit of serializing everything over
Venus?  The answer will depend on the workload, I know.

Thanks again, it was very helpful!

Cheers,
Josh