Re-use of Intel driver genxml files in other project

Thomas Erbesdobler t.erbesdobler at gmx.de
Mon Oct 23 22:44:37 UTC 2023

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working on a very simple OpenCL runtime for Intel GPUs,
which I would like to make available as open source project (and maybe
also distribute it). To generate the ring-commands (the command stream
which controls the GPU, i.e. loads kernels and data, spawns worker
threads, etc.) I used the genX.xml-files of the MESA project. They are
located at src/intel/genxml in the source tree (i.e.
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/tree/main/src/intel/genxml).

Like MESA itself I am using these genX.xml-files to generate C(++)
header files. Most code in that part of MESA's sources is covered by a
MIT license, but I did not find a particular license for the
genX.xml-files (however the generated headers are MIT-licensed, too). Am
I allowed to distribute these genX.xml-files in my project, and if yes,
under which terms?

I would probably license my OpenCL runtime under the MIT license
(SPDX-version), too.

Regards,
Thomas