Queries regarding the Khronos specification license

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Fri Feb 9 00:39:36 UTC 2024

For what it's worth, I did raise this as a potential issue with the apache2
license migration for Khronos projects, and explicitly asked about MIT
dual-licensing at least for the GL headers. (The morbidly curious with a
Khronos membership may find the relevant discussion in the arb-nextgen
archives from May 2016.) I am not a lawyer, I am extremely not your lawyer,
and I am especially extremely not OpenBSD's lawyer, but my considered
opinion is OpenBSD is just straight up misguided about this and they do
themselves a disservice here. Whatever, not my circus, not my monkeys.

I don't imagine Mesa is ever going to stop using the Khronos-generated
headers as we have very good reasons to want not to diverge from them, so I
would encourage thinking of this as unavoidable, like it is for llvm, which
you're already building the OS with, so.

- ajax