GBM as standalone buffer allocator

Srinivas Pullakavi (QUIC) quic_spullaka at quicinc.com
Thu Feb 22 16:09:15 UTC 2024

+ Abhinav

From: Srinivas Pullakavi (QUIC)
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2024 10:44 PM
To: 'Yiwei Zhang' <zzyiwei at chromium.org>
Cc: Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com>; mesa-dev at lists.freedesktop.org
Subject: RE: GBM as standalone buffer allocator

Hi Yiwei,

Looks like this thread is closed.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/26038#note_2243187

Can we collaborate on this?

Thanks,
Srinivas

From: Yiwei Zhang <zzyiwei at chromium.org<mailto:zzyiwei at chromium.org>>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2023 4:38 AM
To: Srinivas Pullakavi (QUIC) <quic_spullaka at quicinc.com<mailto:quic_spullaka at quicinc.com>>
Cc: Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com<mailto:robdclark at gmail.com>>; mesa-dev at lists.freedesktop.org<mailto:mesa-dev at lists.freedesktop.org>

There’s
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/26038. It is quite appealing to me considering a VK only scenario.

On Thu, Nov 2, 2023 at 5:50 AM Srinivas Pullakavi (QUIC) <quic_spullaka at quicinc.com<mailto:quic_spullaka at quicinc.com>> wrote:
Hi Rob,

Thanks for your inputs.

We are planning to use DMA-Buf for GBM backend. DMA-buf supported heaps are listed in /dev/dma_heap/
Gbm backend selects the best heap based on usage. For example: Secure buffers will be allocated from secure heap.

Sample output:
                     # ls /dev/dma_heap
                 reserved  system

Sample code to allocate a buffer from system heap:
        int heap_fd = open(/dev/dma_heap/system, O_RDONLY | O_CLOEXEC))
        struct dma_heap_allocation_data heap_data {
              .len = size,                      // length of data to be allocated in bytes
              .fd_flags = O_RDWR | O_CLOEXEC,   // permissions for the memory to be allocated
              };
        int status = ioctl(heap_fd, DMA_HEAP_IOCTL_ALLOC, &heap_data)
        if (status == 0) {
                 int buffer_fd = heap_data.fd;
              }

In this case, there is no dependency on display / Graphics driver. But still GBM create device expects a device fd to be passed.

Can we make it optional to pass device fd ?

Thanks,
Srinivas