time for amber2 branch?

Mike Blumenkrantz michael.blumenkrantz at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 17:34:42 UTC 2024

On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 1:22 PM Triang3l <triang3l at yandex.ru> wrote:

> The shader compiler in R600g is actively developed (and I think OpenGL 4.6
> support is among the main goals), I don't see why it needs to be moved to a
> low-priority branch or to stop getting new NIR infrastructure updates
> with the
> current amount of maintenance it receives.

Nothing stopping those developments from continuing in an amber branch, and
the odds of any NIR changes being required for hardware this old are slim.

> On 19/06/2024 18:26, Thomas Debesse wrote:
>  > Maybe the work-in-progress “Terakan” vulkan driver for r600 cards
>  > won't be affected because vulkan is not a gallium thing.
>
> Terakan uses R600g files heavily, specifically the register structures,
> as well
> as the shader compiler (with additional intrinsics implemented and plans
> to move
> some SFN parts, primarily those interacting with bindings, such as storage
> images/buffers, to NIR lowerings in R600g too for more straightforward code
> sharing) and other shader-related parts.
>
> Moreover, there likely will be backporting of some parts of Terakan to
> R600g
> (architectural-scale bugfixes primarily) in the somewhat distant future
> (when
> they're fully implemented and well-tested in Terakan), specifically:
>   • GL_ARB_shader_draw_parameters.
>   • New vertex fetch subroutine generation, correctly dividing by the
> instance
>     divisor, and co-issuing instructions where possible.
>   • 2048 vertex stride fetch subroutine workaround on pre-Cayman GPUs
> (which have
>     bits only for up to 2047).
>   • Color attachment index compaction in fragment shaders to allow gaps
> to be
>     filled with storage resources.
>   • Handling different alignment of pitch calculated by texture fetching
> hardware
>     for 1D-thin-tiled mips of depth and stencil surface aspects that
> can't be
>     respected on the depth/stencil attachment side where the pitch
> register is
>     shared (likely will be using an intermediate overaligned surface).
>   • True indirect compute dispatch via a different packet sequence on the
>     existing kernel versions, and later, when the involved command
> parsing is
>     fixed in the kernel, using actual INDIRECT_DISPATCH type-3 packets.
>
> — Triang3l

Terakan is not a Mesa driver, and Mesa has no obligation to cater to
out-of-tree projects which use its internal API. For everything else, see
above.

Mike