[Mesa-maintainers] Recommendations for building Mesa with LIBGLVND support

Stefan Dirsch sndirsch at suse.de
Thu Mar 23 15:00:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 12:16:48PM -0600, Kyle Brenneman wrote:
> Ah, I'd forgotten to address libGLES* in my EGL patch.
>
> As far as I can tell, the libGLES libraries in Mesa are just dispatch stubs,
> and nothing within Mesa depends on them. That is, if an application looked
> up every GLES function using eglGetProcAddress, then you could remove the
> libGLES*.so libraries entirely and it would still run fine.
>
> If that's true, then a libglvnd-based build of Mesa could just skip building
> the libGLES*.so libraries, because libglvnd basically does look up every
> GLES function through the vendor library's eglGetProcAddress.

Thanks, Kyle! This explains a lot! I have done this now (removed Mesa's GLES
libs and reqplaced them with RPM requires to libglvnd's GLES libs; the same as
Fedora is doing) and it just works. :-)

CU,
Stefan

Public Key available
Stefan Dirsch (Res. & Dev.)   SUSE LINUX GmbH
Tel: 0911-740 53 0            Maxfeldstraße 5
FAX: 0911-740 53 479          D-90409 Nürnberg
http://www.suse.de            Germany