[Mesa-maintainers] [Mesa-dev] Building Mesa GIT with LLVM prior to 3.9

Aaron Watry awatry at gmail.com
Tue Sep 19 16:30:41 UTC 2017

On Tue, Sep 19, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Vedran Miletić <vedran at miletic.net> wrote:
> On 09/18/2017 06:00 PM, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As you may know, different components in Mesa use LLVM for various purposes.
>>
>> In particular:
>>  - 3.3.0 for the aux gallium module, gallivm
>>  - 3.6.0 for the opencl state-tracker, clover
>>  - 3.9.0 for multiple drivers r600, radeonsi, radv and swr
>>
>> AFAICT gallivm is build on Windows, and using newer LLVM in there is
>> rather hard/messy.
>>
>> On the other hand, Clover is built on Linux/BSD platforms. Which seems
>> to be OK wrt availability and the respective packaging.
>> So leaving the former out for now, I'm wondering if we cannot bump the
>> Clover requirement to 3.9.0.

No arguments from me.  As Jan said, libclc requires LLVM 4.0 anyway
these days, and r600/radeonsi both require 3.9 as well.

The only reason I can think of keeping 3.6 would be if someone were to
theoretically try to add CPU support to clover (e.g. just run CL on
the host processor similar to POCL's CPU support). I don't see that
being too likely at this point in time (or at least not for a while),
and even then we'd need to add CPU support to libclc, which would
effectively increase the requirement to 4.0 anyway.

--Aaron