[Mesa-maintainers] Downstream Mesa patches and quirks

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 11:49:02 UTC 2018

On 20 February 2018 at 07:47, Igor Gnatenko
<ignatenkobrain at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-02-19 at 21:55 +0000, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> [Cc-ing the latest Fedora packager - Igor]
>>
>> On 12 February 2018 at 17:59, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > A humble reminder to forward any outstanding patches or hacks needed
>> > to get your Mesa packages building.
>> > I would kindly urge you to do so, even if your previous attempt did
>> > not fare well or you the patch seems not applicable upstream.
>> >

>> As Fedora seems to be the first one in alphabetical order, here are
>> some more specifics:
>>
>>  - empty vl_{mpeg12,}_decoder.c
>> The MPEG patents in question has expired [2] [3] so this can be
>> dropped. Double-check with the legal team, since IANAL
>
> Yeah, Fedora/RH Legal are still evaluating mpeg2 situation.

Great.

>>  -  llvm SONAME without version
>> LLVM bug - should be fixed already
>
> True, but that one is in llvm-libs package.. So I'm not sure if this is really
> right thing to do. But I will check this more, thanks for heads up.

If you have a LLVM build that ships with the above bug, please patch
LLVM instead of Mesa.

>>  - hardware gloat
>> Send upstream CC-ing VMware devs.
>
> Adam?

I might poke the Xorg board/Khronos on the topic in general. I know
the texture-float thingy has a lovely patent behind it, yet all the HW
companies (that have a mesa driver) have paid the relevant bits.

>>  - evergreen big endian
>> There were plenty of BE r600 fixes - retest and drop? Otherwise, send
>> upstream with bugzilla reference.
>
> Will check it soon.
>
>>  - bigendian assert
>> Add the failing build log in the commit message and send upstream
>
> Will do.
>
>>  - osmesa: Fix linkage against shared glapi
>> Linkage is fine. Patch seems like a copy/paste mistake - there were
>> similar fixed for the DRI modules.
>
> Adam? Hans?

Some supporting evidence:
 - see the -no-undefined + L_DNO_UNDEFINED stance in said file
 - Brian/Jose have explicitly requested that OSMesa shall not pull shared glapi

>>  - glvnd-fix-gl-dot-pc.patch
>> Should use -lGL when building with --enable-glvnd and -lMangledGL with
>> --enable-mangling
>
> So this is fixed you mean, right?

It's not - GLVND sort of abuses GL_LIB. Something like the following
should do it:
 - set GL_LIB to GL when using GLVND (in configure.ac)
 - src/glx/Makefile.am for GLVND -> explicitly call the library to
libGLX_mesa, otherwise use @GL_LIB@

If the above is confusing, quick cross-check with src/egl/Makefile.am
should make it obvious.

>>  - static libstdc++
>> Re-spin Vivek's patch [1] or propose alternative
>
> Adam?

Keep in mind that static linking libstdc++ while using shared LLVM (or
clang) will prevent exceptions from propagating.
There was even a comment about that in the .spec. Was aimed at clover,
but it's applicable overall.

>> Thanks
>> Emil
>> P.S. Yes I'm familiar with the XCB under-linking issue, sadly I have
>> not been able to reproduce it.
>
> This seems to be either bug in annobin or ld[0].

That's a relief.

Thanks
Emil