[Mesa-maintainers] Downstream Mesa patches and quirks

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 15:22:31 UTC 2018

On 16 February 2018 at 03:45, Jonathan Gray <jsg at jsg.id.au> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 05:59:21PM +0000, Emil Velikov wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> A humble reminder to forward any outstanding patches or hacks needed
>> to get your Mesa packages building.
>> I would kindly urge you to do so, even if your previous attempt did
>> not fare well or you the patch seems not applicable upstream.
>>
>> Quick random look shows the following:
>> Fedora:
>>   - multiple patches, static libstdc++ workaround (Vivek had an
>> alternative here [1]
>>
>> FreeBSD/DragonFly
>>  - multiple patches (GregV up-streamed a few things already), shebang
>> (no longer needed), glx-tls, sed/other hacks
>
> The way build-id is now entangled in the dri drivers in 18.x while not
> being supported by the last GPLv2 bfd ld (2.17) will need to be
> addressed.  It is used by the shader cache but disabling the
> shader cache and patching out the flag in configure.ac still results in
> fatal asserts at runtime on i965.

Hacking away the LD flag won't work. I'd suggest filing a feature req.
to the compiler team.
Until then you'll need to hack away the entry-points + disable
GL_ARB_get_program_binary.

Skimming through the log in your github repo lists, amongst others:
  - Disable the code that allocates W|X memory on OpenBSD
Let the function in your C runtime fail - mesa will act accordingly.

 - ralloc: don't use ralloc_set_destructor() for linear allocations
What happened with this?

 - sync OpenBSD changes to i915_drm.h
I though you were OK with adding stubs for the unused functionality?

 - util/disk_cache: disable by default on OpenBSD
Don't hack it away like this. You have MESA_GLSL_CACHE_DISABLE for
this reason ;-)

Last but not least, please poke the C runtime/compiler team about
disable-glx-tls.
You'd really want to enable this ;-)

Thanks
Emil