[Mesa-stable] Backport L3 cache control patches to 11.1

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Thu Jan 14 17:53:31 PST 2016

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 4:50:17 PM PST Mark Janes wrote:
> Changes to the L3 configuration by non-mesa (eg, media) programs
> interfere with mesa.  This affects media playback in ChromeOS.
>
> Luckily, Curro made Mesa L3-aware in preparation for compute shaders.
> His patches resolve media playback issues in ChromeOS.
>
> Please backport the following commits to 11.1:

I disagree, we should not backport these to Mesa stable releases.

They are risky, have known regressions, and actually only work around
bugs in other projects.

libva needs to use a hardware context to protect itself from other
userspace processes.  The kernel needs to initialize L3 as part of
the golden context (the default state of new contexts).

The Chrome team is welcome to carry patches with known caveats if
they want, but I'm not comfortable shipping this upstream.

--Ken