[Mesa-users] checking OSmesa performance

tom fogal tfogal at alumni.unh.edu
Wed Jun 16 09:20:44 PDT 2010

Daniel Fuster <dfuster at gmail.com> writes:
> I am trying to use the Off-Screen Mesa (OSMesa) library in one
> cluster to generate some graphics.
[snip]
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HOME/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> export GL_DIR=$HOME/lib
> export OSMESA_DIR=${GL_DIR}
[snip]

Where did you get GL_DIR and OSMESA_DIR from?

It doesn't matter much, but I don't think those are relevant.

> ==392== Invalid read of size 8
> ==392==    at 0x308C2512A7: glDisable (in /usr/lib64/libGL.so.1.2)

Read your error messages closely ;)

You are getting your system's OpenGL library, *not* OSMesa.  Verify
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH has the libGL you need, and that 'ldd binary'
finds the correct GL lib.

Your subject seems unrelated to your mail, but if you're actually
curious about that: I found my nvidia gtx 285 was about 500 times
faster than OSMesa for a GLSL-based + slice-based volume renderer.  My
application is heavily fragment bound.

-tom