[Mesa-users] Mesa support for geometry shaders on Win32 (or alternatively, Linux)

Frederic Claux fclaux.gvs at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 00:27:45 PDT 2010

2010/9/5 tom fogal <tfogal at sci.utah.edu>

> Frederic Claux <fclaux.gvs at gmail.com> writes:
> > If the answer is no here, will a Linux build (using the Softpipe
> > driver, as I'm only interested in software-only support) provide
> > support for geometry shaders?
>
> Shader support is not platform dependent.
>
> As you've found, geomtry shaders aren't supported.  See:
>
>  http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/MissingFunctionality
>
> I'm sure it's on someone's radar for future work, but I would guess
> that nobody's actively working on geometry shader support.

Doesn't the Gallium3D software driver support geometry shaders on Linux?

See this article:
A 30,000 Line Patch For Mesa Brings Geometry Shaders (Sept 2009)
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzUzMw

Extract:
"Zack's Geometry Shaders support comes in a patch that's over 30,000 lines
of code and touches many different parts of the Mesa 3D stack. However, this
new support is considered "basically working" (bugs may be aplenty) and the
only driver
implementing this geometry shading support is the Gallium3D software
driver."