[Mesa-users] How to get the most out of llvmpipe?

Henn, Thomas Thomas.Henn at cst.com
Fri Apr 20 08:35:31 PDT 2012

Hi Brian.

> > Now my question is: What am I doing wrong?
> > Is there something I have to take care of to get a good rendering
> performance with llvmpipe?
> > Are there some special guidelines I have to follow?
> > Some Dos and Don'ts?
>
> Does the application use any unusual GL features?  Are the shaders
> unusually long or complex?  Can you disable various GL features one by
> one and see if there's any effect?

There are different scenarios where we'd like to use llvmpipe, some with some without shaders, some with some without textures. All these scenarios suffer more or less from the behavior I mentioned before.
I already tried to disable VBOs and use Display Lists instead, but there was no positive effect.

> If you made an apitrace of the GL calls
> (https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace) I might be able to take a quick
> look.

I've chosen two small setups without shaders for you. I will send the traces in an extra email...

Thanks a lot and kind regards,
Thomas