[Mesa-users] lighting problem with mesa software rendering

Wendt, Lars Henning lars.henning.wendt at gris.tu-darmstadt.de
Tue Jul 24 06:56:07 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm using mesa as software renderer and I get some strange lighting effects.
In some cases it looks like the source of light is relative to the model while it should be relative to the camera.
Attached you'll find some apitraces to reproduce the error.

The problem was reproduced with the following versions of mesa:
6.5.1 linux
7.8.2 windows/linux
8.0   windows

It seems to me that it could be a numeric problem.
As you will see the modelview matrix contains rather small numbers.
Nonetheless other implementation doesn't have this problem or can cope with it.

Does anybody have an idea what is wrong? Is it a bug? Is there any chance the behavior will be improved in future mesa versions? Or did I get something wrong?

best
Lars