[Mesa-users] Advertised OpenGL version on IvyBridge

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sat Feb 16 23:41:20 PST 2013

On 02/17/2013 01:32 AM, Tomash Brechko wrote:
> HD4000 does indeed support OpenGL 3.1.  However because of US patent
> implications Fedora builds Mesa without --enable-texture-float
> configure option and this disables OpenGL 3.0/3.1.  I'm not a lawyer
> but AFAIK since it is not world-wide patent it is safe to use
> --enable-texture-float if you are outside US, and some Linux distros
> like Ubuntu do so by default.  Rebuilding Mesa from source RPM on
> Fedora 18 with the named option enables OpenGL 3.1/shading 1.40 on my
> HD3000.

OK, I remember reading about that. It looks like the Mesa 8.x/9.0
default was to not build with floating point support. Mesa 9.1 now
enables it by default. Fedora is carrying a patch that conditionally
removes support at compile time even with 9.1. I'll see if RedHat legal
is as happy as Intel legal.

Thanks,
Michael