[Mesa-users] New Device Driver Help

Divick Kishore divick.kishore at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 22:16:39 PDT 2013

Hi Andy,
              I think mesa-dev might be a better place to ask
questions related to development / porting of mesa.

I am no expert in mesa development but from what I know I will try to
answer some of your questions.

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 6:29 AM, Li Andy <lilapkiu at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am currently working on a project which I am trying to port the mesa
> library to another device. (the Altera DE2)
> I am wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions to get started.

Mesa provides GL1.x. GL2.0 as well as GLES1.x and GLES2.0 with EGL
support. From your question it is not clear what API do you want to
use. Given it is an embedded board mostly for training purpose, EGL
with GLES1.x/GLES2.0 should be good. If that is the case you can try
building mesa for gles1/2 with egl backend based on fbdev.

I don't have any experience with this in particular board but most
probably the kernel built for it would already have framebuffer device
support. Once you boot up the board then you should see device entry
listed as /dev/fb0. If that is the case you can build mesa with egl
based on fbdev. I was unable to find the specs of this board so I
don't know for sure if it is ARM based or x86 based or any other
processor. If it is x86 based it makes it easier because you wouldn't
have to cross compile. Also if it does not have any GPU (which most
likely is the case) then mesa can be built to do software only
rendering.

If it fits your use case then hopefully I can try to help you build
mesa with fbdev egl based backend.

Hope that helps,
Divick