[Mesa-users] trouble with mipmap minification filtering

David Hart dahart at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 14:46:55 PDT 2014

Hi, I'm having a little trouble getting texture mipmap minification
filtering to work with Mesa, I'm wondering if one of you gurus might be
able to spot what I'm doing wrong. I've setup a test program that runs the
same code once via Mesa and once via glut, and with glut I see proper
mipmap sampling, but with Mesa I don't - only the base level texture is
sampled, no matter what GL_TEXTURE_MIN_FILTER settings I use. Maybe I've
done something stupid or in the wrong order?

I'm constructing my mip levels manually with different colors, so I can see
them. My base texture is blue, and when I render several quads at different
sizes using Mesa, the entire image is blue indicating base texture.

I'm on Mac (OSX 10.9.4) + PyOpengl 3.0.2 + Mesa 8.0.5 (via macports)

Glut results:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/364079/mesa-mipmap/mip_test_glut.png
Mesa results:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/364079/mesa-mipmap/mip_test_mesa.png
Code:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/364079/mesa-mipmap/mesa_mip_test.py
(Images were generated by running "mesa_mip_test.py 0 && mesa_mip_test.py
1")

I've tried a lot of searching, attempted (so far, unsuccessfully) to build
a newer Mesa version locally, re-read OpenGl's "Common mistakes", etc. I
also ran the same code in a linux/Xvfb environment, and there both versions
have the same results -- both the Glut and Mesa versions come out all blue;
minification filtering seems to not work.

---------
FWIW, here's my environment. I'm on a very old version of Mesa, but for now
I am assuming my problem is with my code, not Mesa, and unlikely to be
version dependent.

> uname -a
Darwin porkchop.local 13.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0: Tue Jun  3
21:27:35 PDT 2014; root:xnu-2422.110.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64 i386
MacBookPro8,2 Darwin

mesa                           @8.0.5          x11/mesa

> pip list | grep -i gl
PyOpenGL (3.0.2)