[Mesa-users] "Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig" on DRISWRAST GL provider

Heng Zhou hzhou1 at cs.uml.edu
Mon Dec 22 16:13:54 PST 2014

Hi,

I am working on Amazon EC2 ubuntu 14.04 t2.micro instance. When I run
glxinfo, I always got an error:

name of display: :1.0
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig

The report obtained by cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log|grep -i glx is

[     8.095] (II) LoadModule: "glx"
[     8.102] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions/libglx.so
[     8.120] (II) Module glx: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
[     8.120] (==) AIGLX enabled
[     9.571] (II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
[     9.571] (EE) AIGLX: reverting to software rendering
[     9.666] (II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
[     9.666] (II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0

I'm not sure if the error of glxinfo arises from the capability limitation
of "DRISWRAST GL provider", but someone says "Ubuntu ships all OpenGL that
you need", so it should also be true for the Ubuntu image used by Amazon
EC2. I'm not able to solve this problem myself, so could you please help me
find out the reason why glxinfo does not work and how to fix it? The
version of ubuntu is 14.04 LTS and the kernel is 3.13.0-36-generic. You can
get the same environment as mine by connecting to the free EC2 t2.micro
instance. Thanks for your help.

Best Regards
Heng