[Mesa-users] Software speed in windows

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Fri Oct 17 08:43:31 PDT 2014

On 10/15/2014 08:12 PM, Jason Anderssen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have been using the mesa3d as our software rendering solution for a
> long time, we have now upgraded to opengl2.1 using the latest mesa.
>   However going from fixed pipeline to programmable pipeline seems to be
> a lot slower with our application.  Does this sound correct,

If you're using the 'swrast' driver, yes, that's to be expected.

> and is
> there any hints or tip at what we can do to improve performance of
> mesa3d  (I don’t mind re-compiling with different flags if necessary.)

The LLVMpipe driver should give you much better performance.  It
basically uses JIT to transform the shaders into x86/sse machine code
for fast execution.  It's also threaded.

You'll need LLVM installed on your system before building Mesa.

-Brian