[Mesa-users] Mesa3D new user Questions

belal medhat belal.medhat92 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 30 10:48:23 PDT 2014

Hi
sorry for disturbance
I want to ask a question

I have a workstation its OS is Ubuntu 14.04.1
it's CPU is Intel core i7 4th Gen 8M cash 4790  3.6 GHZ
it has 2 GPUs Nvidia Gefroce GTX 760 4G RAM 1152 CUDA cores

i am working on a scientific research in Bioinformatics
in molecular structures dynamics and simulations
i need to render and display 3D spheres for Atoms in molecular structures
do basic transformations translations handle user input from keyboard and
mouse
change colors according to user commands

i want to learn the latest Opengl language OpenGL 4.3 4.4 4.5
i have installed Nvidia drivers it causes many problems in Linux
so i have installed Intel open source graphics drivers and mesa3D
because i have intel HD graphics 4600 with 20 processing unit and 1.7G
memory

my question to you
Is OpenGL 3 enough for research basic 3D graphics with input handling
what is the new in OpenGL 4
when mesa3D will support OpenGL 4 completely
what will happen if i try to run OpenGL 4 on mesa with intel drivers

someone said to me that even OpenGL 2 is enough for me even version 3
contains a lot of features used in Game developing
and mesa3D support now efficiently OpenGL 3.3
so it is ok also you will have 2 GPUs for scientific computing and
numerical computing
and the improvements in OpenGL 4 for games like 3D fire   you will not need
it in molecular structures

finally
i see that mesa3D has evolved very well  it is up to date i feel that it
will support OpenGL 4 very soon before 2015 or in Q1 2015

and i need to tell you something
Linux OS is the best OS ever for scientific research  we need the latest
OpenGL for research not games
of course many people need it for writing Games
anyway if mesa3D supports OpenGL 4.3 it will be a jump in Linux
because Linux and mesa3d have open source for Intel Nvidia AMD
so if it supports OpenGL 4.3 it will have advantages for accelerating via
Intel HD AMD Radeon Nvidia GTX 700 900 series
scientific research will be great
Games Linux will be a station for 3D games free drivers free OS everything
for free with a well documentation and well support for many years so
instead windows have all Gamers
Linux wiith mesa3D will also has its Gamers and it will be far great more
than windows

i know that mesa3D developers are under pressure everyone depending on them
they have no much time

but if you write on social media sites and on your offacial websites
facebook
twitter
google+
mesa3D.org
freedesktop.org
Linux websites
Ubuntu
Fedora
all distro for multimedia and games

that you want Linux has OpenGL 4.3 and more for scientific research for
graphics design and web design for Games 3D advanced Games

if just mesa complete Opengl 4.3      a new era for Graphic design tools
Games will be opened
Thank you for your efforts waiting for your reply