[Mesa-users] version string for OpenGL not correct?

Benjamin Bellec b.bellec at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 11:41:38 PDT 2015

Indeed, I also got the Steam crash. I guess Steam doesn't expect to see a
"core profile" string in the string it is parsing. Steam only/always
reports the Compatibility profile, I don't know why. You can check in the
Steam menu "Help" > "System info".

Anyway, I browsed the Mesa source code and saw an undocumented override
option :
$ MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3*COMPAT* glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
OpenGL version string: 3.3 Mesa 10.7.0-devel (git-013d731)

And so Steam worked too :
$ MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.3COMPAT steam