[Mesa-users] Segmentation fault in "Fake_glXUseXFont" (Mesa 10.4.3)

Martin Knoblauch knobi at knobisoft.de
Wed Feb 25 07:18:18 PST 2015

Hi,

 in a customer project I am facing an awkward situation. We need to run a
"closed source 3rd party interactive OpenGL application with 'not very good
support'" (I cannot and do not want to name the App) on a server machine
with no dedicated GFX hardware.

 The plan is to run it with Mesa OpenGL and a Xvfb X server.

This mostly works OK, but we are seeing consistent segmentation faults
whenever "glXUseFont" is called. The core dumps come from line the
following lines in the "Fake_glXUseXFont" routine:

                dpy = glXGetCurrentDisplay();
                if (!dpy)
                    return;                   /* I guess glXMakeCurrent
wasn't called */
core ==>   win = RootWindow(dpy, DefaultScreen(dpy));

So the call to "glXGetCurrentDisplay" returns non-null, but the structure
behind the pointer seems invalid. I added some debugging output, and that
shows that the "number of screens" for that display is 0, which explains
the failure in the RootWindow macro.

 Now the questions are:

1) how cant that happen
2) what can be done

The server is running SLES11SP2 and Mesa has been build with the following
configure options:

  $ ./configure --enable-driglx-direct --enable-xlib-glx --disable-dri
--disable-xvmc --disable-egl --with-gallium-drivers=

Any suggestions are highly welcome.

Cheers
Martin

Martin Knoblauch