[Mesa-users] Confusion over use of Clover/OpenCL

org.mesa3d.mesa-users at io7m.com org.mesa3d.mesa-users at io7m.com
Sun Jan 25 02:33:34 PST 2015

Hi.

Apologies if this is the wrong list, there doesn't appear to be a more
appropriate one.

My understanding is that Clover is a software-only implementation of
OpenCL. I appear to have Clover installed as part of Mesa, on hardware
that's too old for hardware OpenCL support. I'd expect to be able to
still use OpenCL in software-only mode (so that I can use the API, but
won't see good performance).

However, using clinfo (https://github.com/Oblomov/clinfo):

$ clinfo
Number of platforms                               1
  Platform Name                                   Clover
  Platform Vendor                                 Mesa
  Platform Version                                OpenCL 1.1 MESA 10.4.2
  Platform Profile                                FULL_PROFILE
  Platform Extensions                             cl_khr_icd
  Platform Extensions function suffix             MESA

  Platform Name                                   Clover
Number of devices                                 0

So it seems that I'm using a software implementation that doesn't
expose any devices and therefore can't be used.

What's wrong with this picture? Is there something else I need to do to
get access to this?