[Mesa-users] Question about support for OpenGL 3.2 Core context

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Wed Nov 25 14:45:42 PST 2015

Noob question incoming... I have an application that requests a 3.2 core
context from Mesa.  I tell folks to make sure they have mesa version 10.6.5
or later which I thought supported OpenGL 3.2.  Usually this works but now
and then I get users who's Mesa (including version 11) fails to provide a
3.2 Core context. I tell them to set

MESA_GL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=3.2

and

MESA_GLSL_VERSION_OVERRIDE=150 (or something like that)

and it generally works. But I'm not sure why the original request for 3.2
Core is failing on some systems (drivers?).  Looking at

http://mesamatrix.net/

leads me to think that all drivers with a recent mesa should be fine with
3.2 Core but obviously I am missing something. Do I need to be telling them
to use a specific driver? Is there a list of drivers that do not support
3.2 I should tell them to avoid? Anything else come to mind?

I just want to try to provide a bit more help to folks to get them up and
running with Mesa and even better get our code to handle it automatically
if we could.

Any pointers appreciated. The application is vtk.

Thanks
Ken

--
Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.