[Mesa-users] Testing Gallium vs Classic and softpipe vs llvmpipe drivers

Ruslan Kabatsayev b7.10110111 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 06:29:31 UTC 2016

Hello all.

Where is the documentation regarding building Mesa with Gallium vs
non-Gallium drivers, as well as softpipe vs llvmpipe? I'd like to test
some of these combinations, but all information I could find is this:

GALLIUM_DRIVER= # softpipe or llvmpipe chooses which one to use
--with-gallium-drivers= # set to nothing to disable gallium completely
if you want to test classic drivers

The former I believe is somewhat official thing to use. But the latter
seems too tricky if you want to easily switch between e.g. swr and
softpipe or between Gallium i915 and classic i915.

Is there a better way to switch between Gallium and Classic modes?
Also, why isn't GALLIUM_DRIVER variable listed at
http://mesa3d.org/envvars.html ? Should I file an issue report about
this omission in documentation (if yes, then against which component?
"Other"?).

Thanks,
Ruslan