[Mesa-users] Question: Using Mesa on Windows with Basic VGA Driver

rhwrh wrhwrh inmun02 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 9 14:18:13 UTC 2016

Hello,
I have a question about Using Mesa on Windows with Basic VGA Driver.I'm a very newby to Mesa.
Background:In my lab, we use a customized OpenGL 3.0 application related with simulating graphical things. This is a windows app (win7 sp1 +) and of course it needs OpenGL 3.0+.This program requires an installation process in windows.

What I want:I want to run this application on AWS( or GCP).AWS supports Windows Server 2016, so I want use this OS on AWS(with 4GB Memory instances).
I tried on AWS:AWS gives me a very basic VGA driver which supports only OpenGL 1.0.(I think GCP is the same)But a virtual graphic card assisted Instances are quite expensive in AWS.(Using Nvidia Grid K1,K2... this is not our option)
In Mesa3d.org, there are some guide for window users.http://www.mesa3d.org/llvmpipe.htmlI installed LLVM and MESA on Windows and made some changes bellow.(I tried both LLVM,MESA latest 3 versions in official websites. but same results)
<Guide on Mesa3d.org>There is however an easy way to replace the OpenGL software renderer that comes with Microsoft Windows 7 (or later) with llvmpipe (that is, on systems without any OpenGL drivers):
   - copy build/windows-x86-debug/gallium/targets/libgl-gdi/opengl32.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\mesadrv.dll
   - load this registry settings:   REGEDIT4

; http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc749368.aspx
; http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/143241-portable-windows-7-build-from-winpe-30/page-5#entry942596
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers\MSOGL]
"DLL"="mesadrv.dll"
"DriverVersion"=dword:00000001
"Flags"=dword:00000001
"Version"=dword:00000002
In addition to this guide, I did samething on C:\Windows\System32, too.But no further changes in Registry.
Result: OpenGL 4.0+ is enabled but, the App Installation Failaure.OpenGL Extensions Viewer
-> says OpenGL 4.0+ is enabled by Mesa.
However when I install the above application(my lab), it fails with "OpenGL 1.0 only support, upgrage your video card driver".
Also, Memu(Android emulator which requires over OpenGl 1.1+) installation shows a similar message and can't install Memu, too.http://www.memuplay.com/
(I think Memu is a good test s/w in Windows to check the above problem)
It seems that, whatever in an installation process, it checks vga driver and identify OpenGL version based on the vga drvier itself.(Even OpenGl Extensions says OpenGL 4.0+ possible by MESA)
Request:I want to know anyway to solve the problems. (in Windows)Maybe override windows basic vga driver with another one.Or change some Registry, etc.
Test Procedure(my suggestion):1) Make AWS similar environment (real AWS or Similar) 2) Install Windows10 or Windows Server 2016 with a basic VGA driver. (Physical VGA is not an option, cause I want to do this on AWS basis) (If u want, try Win7 sp1+)3) Install LLVM, MESA.4) <do something>5) Now, u can install Memu!!
Please:I hope someone has a solution..Or, at least, could u kindly test it?
Thanks in advance.Have a nice day!
- Michael