[Mesa-users] Building Mesa on Windows (Follow up)

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 08:13:10 UTC 2016

On Mon, 12 Dec 2016 18:36:24 +0000
Rick Irons <Rick.Irons at mathworks.com> wrote:

> For what it’s worth from an occasional Mesa user, the scons centric
> Windows tool chain is a bit unwieldly.  It would be helpful if there
> was just a single tool dependency that handled the build on Windows.

Hi,

After all, it's not a user issue but a development matter.

However, my guess would be that you will encounter very heavy
resistance for suggesting cmake, perhaps up to simply being totally
ignored.

Maybe you could find some of the rationale in the mesa-dev@ archives
from the time when Scons was determined to be the way for Windows.
Suggesting cmake is surely not a novel idea. For you to be taken
seriously, you should try to find the old arguments why cmake was
rejected and address them in your suggestion.

My personal experience with cmake has been extremely bad, but I don't
work on Mesa either, and even less deal with Windows.

Thanks,
pq