[Mesa-users] OpenCL for radeon Hawaii?

Sam Halliday sam.halliday at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 11:53:33 UTC 2016

Hello everybody,

I recently got a Radeon R9 290x (aka Hawaii). I run ArchLinux, which has
mesa 12.0.1.

I am keen to try out mesa's partial OpenCL implementation. Ideally to
use a BLAS implementation such as https://github.com/CNugteren/CLBlast
but I'd also be happy to just write something basic like dense
matrix/matrix multiplication in raw OpenCL.

However, when I tried to run the "luxmark" OpenCL benchmark, I got this
error

2016-07-31 12:49:24 - [LuxCore] [0.626] [PathOCLBaseRenderThread::0] Compiling kernels
2016-07-31 12:49:24 - [LuxCore] [0.628] [PathOCLBaseRenderThread::0] PathOCL kernel compilation error ERROR clBuildProgram[CL_INVALID_BUILD_OPTIONS]:
2016-07-31 12:49:24 - RUNTIME ERROR: PathOCLBase kernel compilation error

which, I'm guessing, means that my GPU isn't supported for OpenCL by
mesa yet. Is that correct? (I don't know how to get any more output or
logs than this)

The summary information I see in luxmark seems to be wrong for my card.
It has 8GB of memory, but luxmark seems to think it only has 1MB
global memory, 32k local memory and 256k constant memory.

Could somebody please help by letting me know if I've done something
wrong? Or if there is a ticket I could subscribe to, to track progress
of support for my card.

I'm not at all interested in using proprietary drivers for OpenCL.

--
Best regards,
Sam