[Mesa-users] Trouble compiling MesaGL : llvm intrinsics seem to be missing.

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Thu Nov 3 16:07:49 UTC 2016

> swr is for distributed computers, it is faster than swrast, but for
> non distributed computing environments you will want to use llvmpipe

Albert, I respectfully disagree.  While distributed HPC is certaily one of
the most compelling use cases for swr, it's still pretty awesome for single
node non-distributed systems as well so I'd definitely stick with it.

Jeff,
swrast is the other software renderer that will end up implemented by
either softpipe or llvmpipe.  Regarding your build error, it's a known
incompatibility with llvm-3.9.  If you build against 3.8.1 then everything
should work great.  For a minimal osmesa configuration with swr (that's the
typical configuration I use for developing and deploying VTK and ParaView),
use the following set of configuiration options:

./configure \
  --enable-opengl --disable-gles1 --disable-gles2   \ # specify which APIs
to enable, in this case, Only OpenGL
  --disable-va --disable-xvmc --disable-vdpau       \ # Disable unsed state
trackers
  --enable-shared-glapi                             \
  --disable-texture-float                           \ # legal landmine
  --enable-gallium-llvm --enable-llvm-shared-libs   \ # need llvm for
vatious things
  --with-gallium-drivers=swrast,swr                 \ # Turn on llvmpipe
(via swrast) and swr both
  --disable-dri --with-dri-drivers=                 \ # Only osmesa so no
need for this
  --disable-egl --with-egl-platforms= --disable-gbm \ # No need for EGL
things
  --disable-glx                                     \ # again, only using
osmesa
  --disable-osmesa                                  \ # don't use
old-school osmesa
  --enable-gallium-osmesa                             # do use new osmesa

This will result in an osmesa that has both llvmpipe and swr with llvmpipe
the default.  You can set the environment variable GALLIUM_DRIVER=swr at
runtime to switch which one gets used.