[Mesa-users] Mesa 12.0.0 on Windows question

Rick Irons Rick.Irons at mathworks.com
Fri Sep 16 21:45:33 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have built Mesa 12.0.0 on a Windows 10 machine and I would like to better understand the rendering support that is being provided.  The version, vendor, and renderer are being identified as the following by opengl32.dll...

Version:               3.0 Mesa 12.0.0
Vendor:                VMware, Inc.
Renderer:           Gallium 0.4 on softpipe

What exactly does the 'softpipe' portion of the renderer info mean?  Does it mean that the OpenGL implementation is purely software based with no reliance on either GPU or CPU?  I suspect this to be the case since display performance is poor with scenes of simple complexity.

When building the DLL I noticed a warning that LLVM was not available and would not be used.  I am speculating that if I installed LLVM the makefile configuration tool would detect it and perhaps build a 'Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe' renderer.  Is this the case?  Would this renderer leverage either the CPU or any available GPU?  Additionally, if no supported CPU or GPU hardware was detected, would the renderer know to revert to a purely software based implementation?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Rick