[Mesa-users] Software rendering configuration on LINUX

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Mon Dec 11 14:10:35 UTC 2017

Hi Rick,

This comes up from time to time.  We need the same thing deploying ParaView
render servers on CPU-only compute clusters without X, but I've found it
difficult to really determine the right set of configuration parameters to
use.  With the current Mesa release, 17.x, we've settled on the following
./configure parameters to produce a bare-bones-ish libOSMesa only
containing the llvmpipe software driver.  Note that some of these
parameters are already set by default but I find it helpful to be explicit
since many of them are "auto-detect":

 /configure                                      \
--enable-opengl --disable-gles1 --disable-gles2  \
--disable-va --disable-xvmc --disable-vdpau      \
--disable-shared-glapi --disable-texture-float   \
--enable-llvm --enable-llvm-shared-libs          \
--with-gallium-drivers=swrast --with-platforms=  \
--disable-dri --disable-dri3 --with-dri-drivers= \
--disable-egl --disable-gbm --disable-glx        \
--disable-osmesa --enable-gallium-osmesa

Some that may be of specific interest to you:

   - --disable-texture-float
      - This is disabled by default but it's an important one to be
      explicit with if your developing commercial software to ship.  The OpenGL
      floating point textures implementation in Mesa is currently patent
      encumbered so enabling it is at your own risk.  FWIW though, the patent
      should expire sometime next year in the summer I believe when it
should no
      longer be an issue.
      - --enable-llvm-shared-libs
      - If you change this to --disable-llvm-shared-libs then libLLVM will
      be linked statically into your resulting libOSMesa, which will make it
      pretty huge but will also drop the need for an extra dependency to be
      shipped.  So, it's a trade off.
      - --disable-osmesa --enable-gallium-osmesa
      - No need to change these but it can be confusing.  The first option
      disables the "legacy" DRI-based OSMesa implementation while the second
      enables the newer implementation based on the gallium driver architecture
      and also supports newer OpenGL standards while the legacy one does not.

Chuck Atkins
Staff R&D Engineer, Scientific Computing
Kitware, Inc.
(518) 881-1183