[Mesa-users] T_eff and Luminosity Range

Gonçalo Andrade gnmandrade at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 11 14:43:40 UTC 2017

Dear all,

In my current research I need to pick a given luminosity and T_eff, with a given error bar, and get information of stellar models within this range of parameters. I wanted to find out the closest initial parameters (Mass, X, Y, Z, etc...) that produce a model with the nearest values to the L and T_eff I have defined.

I have tried to modify the solar_calibration folder from the test_suite but I am having several trouble, mainly with the age definition, and I'm not sure if this is the easiest route.

My plan, since I don't know the age of the best model, would probably be trying a scan gird for the initial parameters (M, X, Y, ...) and, if L and T_eff were inside the defined range, I would calculate the chi^2 in each model and then pick the age for which it was lowest.

Then I would use another algorithm like the simplex to fine-tune this result.

Does anyone has an advice on how to implement this or if this is the right approach?

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,

Gonçalo Andrade

p.s. I'm currently using version 8845 but I can upgrade if needed.