[Mesa-users] Looking for the limiting factor

Bryan Feir jenora at sympatico.ca
Mon May 22 22:35:14 UTC 2017

So, possible newbie issue here.  I'm currently unable to get mesa past
OpenGL 2.1 compatibility.  The 'Extended renderer info' from glxinfo gives:
Extended renderer info (GLX_MESA_query_renderer):
    Vendor: X.Org (0x1002)
    Device: AMD POLARIS11 (DRM 3.3.0 / 4.8.17-gentoo, LLVM 3.9.1) (0x67ef)
    Version: 13.0.5
    Accelerated: yes
    Video memory: 4044MB
    Unified memory: no
    Preferred profile: compat (0x2)
    Max core profile version: 0.0
    Max compat profile version: 2.1
    Max GLES1 profile version: 1.1
    Max GLES[23] profile version: 2.0

Now according to https://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes/13.0.5.html that
version of mesa supports up to OpenGL 4.4 depending on the driver, and
according to https://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature/ the POLARIS11 is a
Volcanic Islands chipset and the amdgpu driver I am using should support
up to OpenGL 4.5 as long as LLVM 3.9 is installed (which it is).

Obviously something is causing mesa to decide it can't support the
higher compatibility, but right now I don't even know where to start
looking for where it's making that decision, or which log files contain
the proper information.  What do people need to know in order to debug this?

This is a gentoo machine, so packages are locally built.

(I don't currently need OpenGL 4.4 compatibility, but 3.2 would be
useful for a Unity3D-based application.)