[Mesa-users] features.txt: GLEW_EXT_gpu_shader4?

Axel Huebl a.huebl at hzdr.de
Sun Oct 22 19:47:43 UTC 2017

Hi,

I was looking on mesamatrix.net for the extension "GL_EXT_gpu_shader4"
which is required by recent versions of VTK [1] for its OpenGL2 backend.

Asking for it on GitHub, I was referred to this list since the web page
is just a parsed list of

   https://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/features.txt

The extension seems to be that one: [2]

I was wondering if the status of "GL_EXT_gpu_shader4" can be added to
the features.txt to get an idea which driver will run with recent
versions of VTK?

My background: I was trying to use mesa 17.1.5 with llvmpipe driver
(based on llvm 3.8.1) and was surprised that VTK7 failed (in ParaView
5.4.1) to detect all required OpenGL 3.2 features.

Another question: is this extension an early version or feature-wise a
sub-set of "GL_ARB_gpu_shader5" in OpenGL 4.0? And as such, would it
make sense to ask the VTK developers to rely on that instead, if available?

Best regards,
Axel

[1]
https://github.com/Kitware/VTK/blob/v7.1.1/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx#L632-L648