[Mesa-users] GraphicsFuzz metamorphic testing of shader compilers

Hugues Evrard hugues.evrard at graphicsfuzz.com
Tue Feb 27 17:27:32 UTC 2018

Hi all,

I have just reported a Mesa (i965) crash which was triggered by a shader
from the GraphicsFuzz demo (bug ID 105271), and I wanted to give a broader
context on that bug report.

We are three academics (Alastair, Paul and myself) from Imperial College
London who work on metamorphic testing of shader compilers, last year we
reported drivers bugs across all major GPU vendors and wrote some blog
posts about this (https://medium.com/@afd_icl/689d15ce922b). We also had
the chance to visit some driver developers, including the Intel Mesa team
in Portland -- thanks again for hosting us!

After months of further development and tedious paperwork, we are now
spinning GraphicsFuzz out of academia with the aim to raise graphics
drivers reliability across the board. Our first effort focuses on the
mobile landscape, you can see wrong images and crashes due to graphics
driver bugs in the Samsung S8s, Nvidia Shields, Google NexusTV and Pixels,
Huawei Honors and Apple iPhones here (more to come!):
http://www.graphicsfuzz.com/#results

On the technical side, a summary of our testing approach is here:
http://www.graphicsfuzz.com/howitworks.html

We are looking forward to cover the Mesa drivers, but not immediately given
our current focus on mobile devices. Meanwhile, anyone can easily try our
demo, which executes 15 of our test shaders, on any WebGL2-capable web
browser. Today's bug report comes from this demo, which crashes i956 (Mesa
17.3.3) on my Intel HD 520:
http://www.graphicsfuzz.com/#demo

Please let me know if the demo crashes other Mesa setups, we will be happy
to help providing good reproduction examples!

Many thanks, and if you have questions or feedback, we are all ears :)
Hugues