[Mesa-users] Mesa and Window Compositing

Daniel Trstenjak daniel.trstenjak at gmail.com
Tue May 29 08:10:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

we've a Qt based application with graphics backends for the OpenGL
driver and the mesa library.

When the compositor of the X11 window manager is enabled and the application
is run with the mesa library then the window gets composited with other
application windows, but that's not the case when run with the OpenGL driver.

Currently I'm trying to understand the reason for this difference.
Does the mesa library in any way give hints to the window manager about the compositing?

For X11 there's the property _NET_WM_BYPASS_COMPOSITOR to give the
window manager hints about the compositing. I played a bit around with
it, but couldn't see any difference with the XFCE window manager (Xubuntu 16.04).

My goal is to disable compositing for all cases. Thanks for any hints!

My currently used versions:
Qt 5.9.5
Mesa 11.2.2

Greetings,