[Mesa-users] Radeon E4690 DPM Question

Michael Clark mrclark at gmail.com
Wed Aug 7 21:04:54 UTC 2019

On several laptops, we have had an issue with the graphics card hardware
(ATI Radeon E4690, RV730/M96-CSP) locking up, causing kernel panics and
black screens. Based on the logs, the panics occur when trying to do
hardware powergating, specifically setting one of the clocks. If we fully
disable dynamic power management, the card continues to work and has never
locked up while running. If we switch from dpm to dynpm, it seems to work
for a little longer, but the card will still lock up and the kernel will
panic trying to set one of the clocks. This problem does not occur on
Windows using the proprietary driver. We cannot test on Linux with the
proprietary driver since it has been discontinued.

We have reproduced this with RHEL 6.10, RHEL 7.6, and RHEL 8.0.

The question we have now is: do any of the dynamic power management modules
for Radeon allow finer control of the power management? Can we narrow down
what causes the lockup and disable that without leaving everything on the
device in high performance mode?

Thanks,
Michael