[Mesa-users] Building Mesa with LLVM in $HOME/opt

Jackman kd7nyq at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 06:17:10 UTC 2020

Thank you for your suggestions!

After digging around, trying to find the mechanism (method) the Meson was
actually using to find the dependencies, I was stuck, unable to determine
what 'config-tool' meant. After reading the documentation, I concluded that
I could manipulate 'cmake' or 'llvm-config' methods, something I
understood. On my first attempt at a fix, I decided to just comment out the
method altogether, using Meson's default 'auto' method:

dep_llvm = null_dep
with_llvm = false
if _llvm != 'false'
  dep_llvm = dependency(
    'llvm',
    version : _llvm_version,
    modules : llvm_modules,
    optional_modules : llvm_optional_modules,
    required : (
      with_amd_vk or with_gallium_radeonsi or with_gallium_swr or
      with_gallium_opencl or _llvm == 'true'
    ),
    static : not _shared_llvm,
#    method : _llvm_method,
    fallback : ['llvm', 'dep_llvm'],
  )
  with_llvm = dep_llvm.found()
endif

Now, I am sure that there was very good reason to use 'config-tool', but I
just don't know what it means. In the context of my system with my putting
LLVM in my $HOME/opt folder, 'auto' seems to work just fine.

Right now I'm re-compiling LLVM with RTTI enabled because now it's
complaining about that.

I'm happy to talk to developers that know more about Meson in order to
create a PR/patch for this kind of thing. I'd also be happy to test other
conditions (OSX, Windows, etc.) as long as I know what I'm looking for.

Anyway, thank you again! It takes a lot of discipline and commitment to
offer help to newcomers on a mailing list.

Have a great week and stay healthy!

Andrew Jackman
kd7nyq at gmail.com