[Mesa-users] X11 forwarding issue

Guillermo Hazebrouck gahazebrouck at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:58:54 UTC 2020

Hello!
I am having troubles to export an OpenGL-based application through the
network using X11.
At the beginning I used only compatibility mode calls (OpenGL 1.2 -> lists
+ glBegin/glVertex/glEnd), and everything worked like a charm. However,
because a restriction on drivers and OS, I had to move the whole
application to Core Profile (version 3.3 to 4.5). The performance remained
good, but I was no longer able of exporting the application through X11!
I started searching for information and, to my astonishment, it seems that
the GLX library that is in charge of doing this (forwarding the OpenGL
calls through the network) is now becoming obsolete as it is only
compatible with legacy (compatibility mode) calls.
Why is GLX only compatible with OpenGL lists and not able of forwarding the
vertex buffers? Is there any development ongoing in that direction? Or is
there any known solution to this?
Thanks,
Guillermo