[Mesa-users] X11 forwarding issue

Pekka Paalanen ppaalanen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 09:16:27 UTC 2020

On Thu, 26 Mar 2020 08:13:07 +0100
Guillermo Hazebrouck <gahazebrouck at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pekka,
> If I get it right, what you say is that NVIDA might then be able of
> forwarding the buffers (in version 2.0 as Michael said) without caring
> about the GLX library?

Hi,

I'm saying that NVIDIA provides its very own GLX library that might
do more or different things than the FOSS GLX library you would
otherwise use.

> I don't agree that transmitting video is always more efficient.

Of course not always. But there does not seem to be much attention to
cater for those cases where video transmission is not the best option.

A lot of performance work is driven by games. The rest is driven by
desktop apps which usually nowadays submit images. In my experience it
is really rare to see an application that would benefit from command &
data submission - be that X11 or other protocol.

For what I've tested, GTK+2 apps seemed to work nicely with X11
forwarding. GTK+3 apps are painfully slow because they saturate the
available network bandwidth I had available.

> I get the feeling that only a few people are interested in efficiently
> exporting through the network nowadays, so the development is going in a
> different direction. Also, the bandwidth has become less critical for most
> people, so probably no one care. However, there are still some areas where
> keeping a quite network is considered very important.

Indeed, I agree with you there.

Every once in a while I see someone complaining about thin-client or
other network remote performance issues, but it never seems to lead
anywhere.

Then there are Web apps and WebGL, which seem to be the modern
"thin client" replacement.

Thanks,
pq