Huawei E3131 and the ignored at^ndisdup command

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Mon Jul 1 01:21:15 PDT 2013

Ben Chan <benchan at chromium.org> writes:

> I notice that the following upstream cdc_ncm patches (since kernel
> 3.8) expose a wwan0 interface for certain Huawei modems with a
> non-standard NCM interface. But according to
> 77-mm-huawei-net-port-types.rules, they use PPP to dial up. Has anyone
> tried making use of the wwan interface?
>
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=bbc8d9228ea8e37ce29fa96150d10b85a2c7be60
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=96316c595697ae9a2a90badd6f00035f2f384773
> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=1f84eab4ad73bcb7d779cba65291fe62909e373f

There are a few users with Huawei E3276 (or some variant of it), using
that driver. I know the "Of Modems and Men" OpenWRT-based project use
it. See http://ofmodemsandmen.com/supported.html

And Graham Inggs recently posted a few patches for MM:
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2013-May/msg00217.html

But we certainly need more data on which modems can be supported this
way. And I believe using NDISDUP with these modems isn't necessarily
supported by Huawei, so if that works then it is only by chance.  Which
means that we should research how to properly manage these modems.  I
believe Enrico is already on to that task :)

Bjørn